Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Good-bye m2m

It’s hard to believe, but this was my last week working at m2m! Needless to say, time certainly can fly. I have learned so much being here and will miss this life a great deal. My knowledge about public health, NGOs, business models and operations, and of course program monitoring and evaluation and operations research, has increased exponentially. I have been afforded many amazing travel opportunities that have served to even further open my eyes to the issues and realities of combating an epidemic on the ground, in addition to learning about new cultures. And I have learned from some amazing individuals and formed great relationships in the process – I really couldn’t ask for more. Having seen first hand from my colleagues what it means to be truly passionate about going to work every day and believing in changing the world (on some level), I know I will gain constant inspiration thinking back on my time at m2m and the women it stands for. Princeton in Africa has been a wonderful experience for me and I know the knowledge I gained from working at m2m will give me great perspective as I continue to embark upon a career focusing on global health and medical research involving infectious diseases which affect developing nations. I am excited about the next steps of my life and starting school again, but I am certainly sad that my time in Cape Town is coming to an end. On to the next adventure, I guess!

And even though my last day of work was this week, I’m not quite done with Africa – my best friend arrived on Saturday and we will be spending a week in Mozambique before coming back to Cape Town to enjoy the World Cup excitement for a few weeks. So – more pictures to come soon, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment